Wednesday, July 4, 2012

MARY STEENBURGEN'S CORN SPOON PUDDING ON THE 4TH OF JULY

Happy 4th of July!  Today we celebrate our country's gaining of independence from Great Britain in 1776, and the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  It is a good day for celebrating with family and friends, and for watching fireworks!  We will be going to our friends, the Andersons', for their annual 4th of July party.  Every year they grill a big turkey and we all bring potluck.  I'm bringing Mary Steenburgen's Corn Spoon Pudding from her recipe in "Potluck at Midnight Farm - celebrating food, family, and friends on Martha's Vineyard."  I already had a piece; and it is delicious.  As you can tell from the recipe, this could not be easier to make!

CORN SPOON PUDDING.
"This is a recipe I grew up with in Arkansas.  It is an absolutely guaranteed smash hit.  I've made it for all kinds of people who take one bite and instantly want the recipe.  It's a little embarrassing to hand it over, since it reads:  Open a box of this and a can of that.  But trust me, it's the best cornbread you'll ever have."  Mary Steenburgen
1 (8.5 oz) box corn muffin mix
1 (7.5 oz) can whole kernel corn
1 (7.5 oz) can creamed corn
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
1/2 cup grated Swiss Cheese (I substituted pepper jack cheese.)
2 tablespoons chopped chive (This wasn't in Mary's recipe but I added it.)
     Heat the oven to 350ยบ.  Combine all of the ingredients except the cheese in a large mixing bowl.  Pour into a lightly greased 9x13" baking dish.  Bake for 35 minutes.
     Sprinkle grated cheese on top and bake 10 minutes more.  You will know it's done when a toothpick comes out clean.  Serve warm.
NOTE:   In my oven, the dish was done after 35 minutes so I simply sprinkled the cheese on top, it melted, and I ate a piece.  Delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely the best cornbread recipe ever. I add chopped jalapeno peppers instead of the chives. I make this only for potlucks--if I made it for home, we would sit down and eat every bit of it, possibly not the healthiest option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you like it and I agree...so good!!

    ReplyDelete