Green beans are now readily available at farmers' markets and they are such a treat! I think everyone likes green beans!
Here are a few ideas for dressing up green beans for everyday, and for company.
* Saute garlic in olive oil and/or butter; add lemon juice, lemon zest and steamed green beans.
* Toss steamed green beans with chopped, roasted red peppers.
* Toss steamed green beans with sesame oil, fresh grated ginger and toasted sesame seeds.
* Saute slivered almonds in butter until toasted, add steamed green beans and heat through.
* Fry cut pieces of bacon or prosciutto, pour out the grease, add steamed green beans and heat through.
* Toss steamed green beans with peanut oil, red chillies, minced garlic and oyster sauce.
* Toss warm, steamed green beans with butter and fresh chopped tarragon/chive/basil/thyme.
Always prepare a much larger batch than you intend to use that day. Adding these green beans to a salad is a delicious way to eat the left-overs.
Do you know what "haricots verts" are? If you've taken any French classes this is easy for you. Translated exactly to English they are beans green. More specifically, they are a slender variety of a snap bean developed originally in France. I've never been able to taste any difference between the green beans we typically see in stores and haricots verts; so I use them interchangeably. FYI, here is the correct pronunciation of haricots verts: är-ē-kō-ˈver