Monday, April 9, 2018

TOMATO, BASIL & GOAT CHEESE BREAD


Today's recipe came to me from my step-son's mother-in-law, who I am pleased to say has become a cherished friend of mine, despite living far away in England.  The photo below is her photo, and the recipe comes from the blog, A Year in Redwood.  I signed up to get this blog's posts, since I see that they have an airbnb accommodation in North Tipperary, Ireland.  I'd love to stay there sometime!.  



TOMATO, BASIL, GOAT CHEESE BREAD
·         4 oz butter, plus extra to grease tin
·         11 oz self-raising flour (Note 1, below)
·         1/2 tsp salt and lots of black pepper
·         6 oz goat’s cheese, diced (there is no need to remove the rind) (We didn’t have the full amount of goat’s cheese so used some Philly to make up the balance)
·         6 oz firm cherry tomatoes, halved
·         15 g basil
·         3.5 oz milk
·         3 eggs (2 duck eggs)

Heat oven to 180 C/ 160C Fan/ Gas 4 (Note 2, below).  Butter and line a 900 g loaf tin with baking parchment.
Tip the flour and seasoning into a bowl, then rub in the butter until it disappears.  Toss in 100 g each of the cheese and tomatoes.  Roughly tear in the basil, keeping the pieces quite large.
Beat the milk and the eggs together, then quickly stir into the flour and tomato mixture.  Turn into the tin, smooth the top, then scatter with the remaining cheese and tomatoes.
Bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the loaf comes out clean.  (Make sure it isn’t the melting cheese you are looking at rather than the bread mixture).
Cool before slicing.
Serve in thick slices.  Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.


NOTES:
1)  For information about making your own self-rising flour (requiring only all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder), follow this link.   Additional information is also available that may be of interest to you.  Also, 11 oz of self-rising flour is equivalent to a light cup and one-half.

2)  Since I haven't made this, I'm unsure what the best baking temperature might be.  I would try it at 325ºF; but watch it carefully.

Sue said that they ate this with soup.  Salad would be another good option.

I look forward to making this!  When I do, I'll follow up with more specific details/conversions.

No comments:

Post a Comment