RHUBARB POPPY SEED BUNDT CAKE. Serves 10 to 12.
* 1-2/3 cups sugar
* 5 eggs
* 1-1/4 cups butter at room temperature
* 2 tablespoons Creme de Cassis (a sweet, dark red liqueur made from blackcurrants)
* 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 3 cups rhubarb cut into 1/2" pieces
* 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
* Powdered Sugar sprinkled on top
Preheat oven to 325º. Use shortening to grease, and then flour, bundt pan.
Add sugar and eggs to electric mixer bowl and blend well. Add the butter and Creme de Cassis and beat mixture until it is light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Slowly add flour to the mixture, continuing to beat until the batter is smooth and the flour is incorporated. Fold in the rhubarb and poppy seeds. The batter will be quite thick. Add cake batter to the prepared bundt pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let rest 15 minutes, then remove from pan onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
This makes a delicious breakfast!