One of the wonderful things about travel is meeting new people. Two years ago, on our trip to Germany, we met Debbie and John, who live outside of Seattle, and have a "cabin" on Lake Chelan, a beautiful lake in the Cascade Mountains about 3-1/2 hours drive east of Seattle. We have kept in touch since then, and when they heard that we were thinking about visiting Portland, they invited us to visit them. Initially, we all felt a bit of apprehensiveness since we were going to be together for a week. Within minutes of getting together, however, I think we all breathed a sigh of relief... Everything was going to be fine. Well, it was tremendous, actually! Now we look forward to seeing them again, hopefully soon!
This recipe comes from Debbie. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
GRILLED EGGPLANT, TOMATO, AND FETA STACKS. Serves 12.
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (plus more for garnish)
* 1/4 teaspoon very finely minced garlic
* 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided (or to taste)
* 1 large eggplant, trimmed, sliced into twelve 1/2 inch rounds
* 2 sprays cooking spray
* 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
* 2 large fresh tomatoes, ends trimmed, cut into 6 slices each
* 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preheat grill to medium-high.
In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, oil, oregano, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside for flavors to blend.
Coat both sides of eggplant with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Grill eggplant slices until lightly charred and tender, turning as needed, about 8 to 10 minutes. Brush eggplant with lemon mixture; top each with 1 slice tomato and 1 tablespoon feta. Cover grill and cook until tomato and feta soften slightly, about 1 minute.
Remove to a serving platter and garnish with additional oregano leaves.