To begin, I went to Amazon.com and bought the "Toddy Cold Brew System" which cost about $35 with extra filters.
1. Place the plug in the bottom outside of the Toddy brewing container.
2. Place the filter in the bottom inside of the container.
3. Into the container pour one cup of fresh cold water.
4. Coarsely grind just under 3 cups of coffee. We use Kirkland/Costco brand coffee. Pour the coffee into the container, gently leveling out the top.
5. Gently and slowly drizzle 3 cups of fresh cold water over the coffee grounds in a circular manner, wetting the entire surface.
6. Coarsely grind another slight 3 cups of coffee and pour it into the container, gently leveling out the top.
7. Wait 5 minutes, then gently and slowly drizzle 4 cups of fresh cold water over the coffee grounds.
Here is what it will look like:
8. Leave this on your countertop and wait 24 hours for the coffee to steep.
9. Remove the lid from the carafe and place the brew container just above the carafe, pull the plug from the bottom of the brew container in order for the coffee to drip into the carafe. It will take about an hour for all of the coffee to drip into the carafe.
Here the water has run out of the brew container, leaving only the grounds. These go into my garden beds!
The coffee now in the carafe is actually a coffee CONCENTRATE. To make coffee from the concentrate pour about 1/4 cup of the concentrate into your coffee cup, then add boiling water to the concentrate for a rich, flavorful cup of coffee. I have found that one carafe of the concentrate makes about 32 cups of coffee.
Here are some of the benefits of cold brewed coffee:
1. It's about 67% less acidic than hot brewed coffee, and you can distinctly notice the difference.
2. The coffee has a deep, rich flavor.
3. Making coffee for me is a once-a-week endeavor rather than a daily production.
4. My husband drinks fully caffeinated coffee and I drink decaf. Making a carafe of decaf for me and a carafe of caffeinated for him means we are both drinking the coffee we prefer, no compromises.
Thus, the Toddy cold brew system gets four thumbs up in this family!