Monday, August 12, 2013

RETIREMENT ANNIVERSARY: ARNESON ACRES & NOERENBERG GARDENS

On August 8 I celebrated my fifth year of retirement.  At the time of my actual retirement there was no celebration, despite the fact that I truly wanted to celebrate.  It simply didn't happen.  You know how time flies and, all of a sudden, five years have passed!  I really wanted to do something to commemorate one of the happiest days of my life.  This may not sound too exciting... but I decided to do anything at all that I wanted to do, spare no expense, for the entire day.

First stop was coffee and a scone at a local coffee shop.  This may be routine for many other people, but it isn't for me; and I thoroughly enjoyed quietly reading the paper and enjoying my little breakfast.

Next stop, a little shopping in an area of town that I rarely get to.  I was pleased with my find of two new tops.

By now it was nearing lunch time and my plan was to stop at Lunds in Edina and pick up food for my "picnic" at Arneson Acres Park.  I brought along the book I'm reading, "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" by Jamie Ford, and read in the park while I had my picnic of chicken salad and a croissant.  Here are a few photos from Arneson Acres.

Two views from my picnic table.





Good timing for me... the daylilies (my FAVORITE flower) were in full bloom!

 

After lunch I drove to Noerenberg Gardens in Wayzata.   Because of the long drive, I seldom make it out to see these gardens, and it is always special when I do.  They are calming, inspiring, glorious.
















I had such a wonderful anniversary celebration... I think I'll celebrate again next year!!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I cannot believe how quickly time flies. I'm glad you enjoyed your day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to celebrate! I'm going to have to start planning for my first official day of retirement. I think in addition to the coffee shop there will be a yoga class and perhaps a facial ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the "official" day of your retirement, Sharon? I thought you were still working!!

    ReplyDelete