CRANBERRY CARDAMOM SCONES. Makes 12.
Preheat oven to 400º. Line a cookie sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
In a medium bowl whisk together:
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 2 teaspoons of cardamom
In a small bowl whisk together:
* 1 cup canola oil
* 3 large eggs
* 1/3 cup of vanilla yogurt
Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, and use a spatula to combine ingredients. Add:
* 1-1/3 cup of lightly chopped fresh cranberries
Stir lightly to combine. Drop by spoonfuls to make 12 scones. Sprinkle tops with:
* "Sugar in the Raw" or other course sugar
Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
(1) These are terrific warm from the oven or refreshed in a microwave oven. They freeze easily so you can make a batch and NOT eat them all at once!
(2) Many of the ingredients can be swapped out for what you have on hand so don't be afraid to mix and match. Use fresh fruit (apples, strawberries, pears...), dried fruit (craisins, raisins, apricots...), nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts...), different spices (cinnamon, nutmeg...), different flavorings (vanilla, orange, lemon...).