Wednesday, February 20, 2013

HEALTHY, AFFORDABLE "BUTTER"

We've watched Julia Child, Paula Deen, and a host of other cooks slather on the butter.  That's what we'd like to do but we know better!  But, everything in moderation and we can still enjoy everything!

Recently Cooks Illustrated (TV & magazine) reviewed butter and our local "Land O'Lakes" brand was highly ranked, coming in just below "Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter."  I've always liked Land O'Lakes but I've been buying the Kirkland brand butter ever since I become a Costco member.  Well, I've decided to switch back to Land O'Lakes as it is much, much more creamy and rich than Kirkland.

Whipped butter can be convenient and the texture is nice.  Sometimes I can find butter mixtures in the grocery store, but it is relatively expensive.  Thus, I've started making my own, healthy version.  Here's the recipe:

WHIPPED BUTTER
* 1 cup salted butter, softened to room temperature (NOT via microwave which can affect the taste)
* 1 cup olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon table salt
Whip the butter with an electric mixer on low until the butter lightens in color.  In a slow, steady stream, mix in the olive oil.  Add salt and continue mixing until the mixture is light and fluffy.

This butter is better for our health, because of the addition of olive oil, and is very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment