Tuesday, November 20, 2012

SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES

I have no idea why I continue to clip cookie recipes - particularly ones that duplicate what I already have and love.  For example, a number of years ago I decided to make all of the recipes I had at the time for Snickerdoodles, then decide which recipe I loved, and finally throw out all of the rest.  Hmmm... not so easy; but  I managed to narrow it down to three!  Each recipe was delicious, but in different ways.

My garden club bake sale was yesterday and I decided to bring snickerdoodles.  In going through my recipes I found seven recipes for snickerdoodles!  It seems I have continued clipping out recipes for them, even though I already had three great recipes.  So, did I make one of my old recipes?  No...  curiosity got the best of me.  Here's the recipe I made.

SNICKERDOODLES.  Makes 4-1/2 dozen.
1 cup softened butter
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
     Preheat oven to 375º.  Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.  Gradually add 2 cups sugar, beating well.  Add eggs, milk, and vanilla, beating well.
     Combine flour, baking powder, and 2 teaspoons cinnamon; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.
     Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and 1-1/2 tablespoons cinnamon in a small bowl.  Roll dough into 1-1/4-inch balls, and roll in sugar mixture.  Place on ungreased baking sheets, and flatten slightly.
     Bake at 375º for 11 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes.  Transfer to wire racks, and cool completely.

Batter.

Unbaked and Baked.

Cooling.


Right out of the oven I didn't especially like the cookies.  After cooling, though, and especially on the following day (today), the flavor of the cookies improved.  I can also report that the cookies promptly sold at the bake sale last night.

Now the question:  Do I save this recipe to add to my others?

1 comment:

  1. Well, what's the verdict?! I prefer the crunchier version, as opposed to the chewier ones. Which was this?

    ReplyDelete