Not only is this pretty, it is also delicious, easy to make, and it can be made ahead if you're making it for guests.
BEET, FENNEL, AND CARROT SALAD. Serves 8
For the Salad:
* 1 fennel bulb, trimmed
* 5 medium carrots
* 2 large beets, trimmed and peeled
For the Vinaigrette:
* 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
* 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
* 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
* 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
* 1 shallot, halved and very thinly sliced
* 1 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Make the salad: Quarter fennel bulb lengthwise, and cut out core. Very thinly slice fennel lengthwise into strips using a mandoline or sharp knife. Cover with a damp paper towel in a glass dish.
2. Grate carrots, then beets, on the large holes of a box grater (or using a processor with attachment). Arrange side by side with fennel. Keep covered with damp paper towel, and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Make the vinaigrette: Toast fennel seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat, shaking skillet occasionally, until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl, and add orange juice, vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, and salt. Gradually whisk in oil.
4. Toss fennel, beets and carrots with vinaigrette in a large bowl. Serve immediately.
Make ahead: Sliced and grated vegetables can be refrigerated overnight, vinaigrette can be refrigerated for up to 5 hours; whisk before using.
Oh.... and I forgot to mention that this is packed with antioxidents, vitamins and minerals. It just doesn't get any better than that!