Wednesday, February 9, 2011

USING LEFT-OVERS.

Meal preparation can be a real time suck and, accordingly, it is important to find shortcuts.  One thing that I do is to always prepare much more than I will be using for a specific meal.  In fact, shopping at Costco necessitates cooking much more than I need since quantities are large and I don't want the food to go to waste. 

For example, you can steam a large pot of green beans, then use them in any number of ways:
(1) Fry up a little bacon, remove the bacon to a paper towel and pour out the grease; in the same pan, saute the green beans and finish with crumbled bacon.  Next day:
(2) Make a salad and use green beans as part of the salad.  Third day:
(3) Melt butter in a saute pan, toast up sliced or slivered almonds in the butter, add the green beans to heat through and blend flavors. 

Another example.  For SuperBowl Sunday I made Chicken Tandoori and Israeli Couscous.  On Monday I posted the recipe  for the Tandoori Chicken and reheated it for my lunch.  On Tuesday I cubed the cold chicken, added mayonnaise and a few other things I had on hand, and had a delicious Tandoori Chicken Salad for lunch.  For supper I roasted up rack of lamb and reheated the Israeli Couscous. 

See what I mean?  Cook once... eat often!

No comments:

Post a Comment