Tuesday, February 22, 2011

BACON

Last week I reported that I have a new book, "The Encyclopedia of Kitchen Secrets."  Here is a very helpful suggestion for cooking and storing bacon.

"If you have ever wondered how chefs serve bacon fast and have it be crisp and not greasy, here's the secret:   Cook the bacon by placing raw slices side by side on a rack in a baking pan and bake in the oven at 400ºF for 15 minutes or until it is not quite as crisp as you like it.  Cool the bacon, then place the strips in a single layer on foil and freeze.  When you want bacon, just remove the number of slices you desire and heat in a skillet over low heat."

Baking bacon is always the easiest way to cook bacon for a crowd.  But precooking the bacon simplifies the process when we only need a slice or two.  The added benefit is that bacon has no carbs so works well for those of us that are always watching our carbs.  So, the next time you need a few slices of bacon, cook up the entire package and store the leftovers in your freezer.  Then, reheat in the microwave (rather than in a skillet as suggested above).   Convenient, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Great tip! I may try this! I hate the big mess bacon creates. I'd rather get the mess out of the way all in one swoop.

    I have a question/challenge for your Encyclopedia. Is there a rule of thumb for storing baked goods? I know that you have suggested metal tins for cookies. But, for some reason, I still seem to goof this up! My baked goods either become soggy or dried out.

    ReplyDelete